29 Jul THE IMPORTANCE OF META DESCRIPTION FOR SEO IN 2020
The Importance of Meta Description for SEO in 2020
- A Meta description, sometimes referred to as Meta description attribute, is an HTML element that provides a summary or describes the content of a web page.
- It helps the readers to assess the relevance and recency of your content. As such, it affects click-through rates.
- The recommended length is between 50 to 160 characters. Always keep your Meta description long enough to be sufficiently descriptive.
- Google will place a snippet from the target page that matches the user’s query.
- At times, Google might overrule your Meta description if they think it doesn’t adequately answer the user’s query.
Why does Meta description matter?
- The Meta description tag is critical for SEO ranking. It helps search engine users assess the relevance of your content.
- It communicates the up-to-date resources used in a specific topic. Publishers in competitive and active industries like travel need to regularly deliver information that is recent based on what their audience value.
- Since identical titles dominate most search results, the Meta description communicates what unique value your page will provide.
- It helps your web page stand out, given that most of your competitors are optimizing only for the Google algorithm.
- The 160-character allowance gives you plenty of room and visibility to show users your value proposition.
- Studies show that 40% of Google users cannot distinguish between AdWords ads and organic listings. So many people searching for your business will respond the same way they would a paid ad.
- You can also mention your unique selling point to stand out from other search results. Also, include a call to action to encourage the visitor to do more after reaching your page.
- So make sure each character serves a purpose. It is easy to get carried away with optimizing for Google algorithm.
- Do not forget that the primary goal of the meta description tag is to appeal to searchers. You can intelligently include the keywords your page is targeting.
- A meta description can have a significant impact on your SEO efforts. Note that, search engine ranking is not the central role of the Meta description.
- Meta descriptions are extremely important for click-through rates. Optimizing your Meta description can help you achieve a higher click-through rate.